Featured Post

1021. Humpty Dumpty Joe [Biden]

 I've been quiet enough. It took me a long time to get on Obama (OBlunder) when in his times he screwed up America along with his sideki...

Saturday, January 7, 2012

389. Windows 7 "Low on Resources" User Logon

This was a weird problem and resolution! I am on Windows 7 and just set up a User Account for the wife. No problem setting it up or using it until today when she tried to logon (always the wife who gets the errors ... joke). After entering password and doing enter she received an error message "System running low on resources...cannot log on as new user." It proceeded to say to log back on the previous user [to correct it]. Well, this didn't work. I had to do a System Restart to recover.

Now came the fun: What caused the error. Event logs showed carious errors, such as, and in order:
  • Error in WNetOpenEnum trying to disconnect drives
  • Desktop Window Manager exited with code 0x4001004 Event 9009
  • Winlogon notification subscriber was unable to handle notification event. Event 6000 SessionEnv D9060000
  • Windows logon process has failed to disconnect the user session Event 4007 Winlogon 1F000000
Researching all of these led me to nowhere. Then I thought about the last error and wondered if HOW I previously logged off could have left me in limbo causing her to not be able to logon. I fortunately remembered that I did a LOGOFF, but immediately closed the lid of my laptop BEFORE the logon screen appeared. Hence, the system would have gone to SLEEP MODE BEFORE the logoff finished processing. So, I tested a potential conflict between logoff process and going into sleep. If I waited before closing the lid (sleep), all was fine. If I closed the lid(sleep) before logon screen appeared, I got the error. If I change my POWER PLAN to indicate to DO NOTHING when the lid is closed and PC is plugged in, then close the lid before complete logoff, NO ERROR! Thus, the solution is one of the following:
  • If you keep SLEEP when the lid is closed, then always wait for the logoff to complete (logon screen appears) before closing the lid, or
  • Change you Power Options plan to NOT SLEEP OR HIBERNATE, i.e., "Do Nothing" when PC is plugged in. The previous solution is best when NOT plugged in.
Another mystery solved.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this solution! We had the exact same problem and this has resolved it.

    ReplyDelete