Featured Post

1021. Humpty Dumpty Joe [Biden]

 I've been quiet enough. It took me a long time to get on Obama (OBlunder) when in his times he screwed up America along with his sideki...

Sunday, December 11, 2011

340. The Windows 98 Albatross

What do you do with an old PC with obsolete boards and Windows 98? I found an enlightening project: build a more secure game machine for a challenged individual who needed to be prevented from going to the Internet and inadvertently/intentionally hitting keys that would change/damage the system. Here are a few neat things I did:
  • Stripped the system software down to just bare bone W98; no communications & Internet
  • Removed "Network Neighborhood" and "Recycle Bin" from the Desktop
  • Created an Invisible ICON to replace "My Computer" and hid it somewhere on the Desktop where it can be clicked if you know where it is
  • Disabled "Start", both left and right click
  • Disabled use of Right Click everywhere.
  • Installed a bunch of games, a calculator, and Wordpad
  • The Desktop contains ONLY ICONS allowed to the individual
  • All removal/disable of function can be restored via Reg Restores
I hope this Christmas present from "Santa" proves to delight the individual who will now have his own personal PC.

1 comment:

  1. Took me a second to figure out what you were talking about. Now I get it. Sounds like a great thing you did. Pretty neat and should make the kid very happy. Well done "Santa"!

    ReplyDelete