Featured Post

1021. Humpty Dumpty Joe [Biden]

 I've been quiet enough. It took me a long time to get on Obama (OBlunder) when in his times he screwed up America along with his sideki...

Saturday, February 20, 2010

231. Windows 7 - Shutdown Fails Solution (Post 221)

If you can't rely on Microsoft, who can you rely on? On 2/7/2010 I selected an optional windows update to update my RealTek PCIe FE Driver. Mistake! The errors I have had (3 now) were all after that update. Solution is to ROLL BACK to older one using Device Manager (I Hope -- just did it and will see if this fixes it). How did I determine the cause? I downloaded WinDbg from Microsoft to explore the minidump created (in C:\Windows\Minidump). When you run AS AN ADMINISTRATOR the Windows Debugging tool WinDbg you need to specify the source (File, Symbol File Path) of the SYMBOLS. Tell it you want to go to http://msdl.microsoft.com/downloads/symbols and the program will pull down the symbols its needs as required. Then open the minidump (File, Open Minidump) in C:\windows\minidump. Let it rip and also click on the highlighted items. You should now see the cause spelled out for you. What did I learn from all this? Don't install a driver unless it is available from the manufacturer of the device or the computer -- be careful with those from Microsoft. Most likely they attempted to resolve a different problem and didn't thoroughly test it and couldn't wait for the manufacturer to do it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment