Featured Post

1021. Humpty Dumpty Joe [Biden]

 I've been quiet enough. It took me a long time to get on Obama (OBlunder) when in his times he screwed up America along with his sideki...

Friday, February 12, 2010

221. Windows 7 - Shutdown Fails

Anybody else getting a Shutdown failed message in the morning when they think they are just going to unhibernate? After 3 times, I turned off automatic install of Windows Updates. If you didn't already know, the defaults in Windows 7 is to WAKE your computer up, if in sleep or hibernation, to download AND install Windows Updates at 3 A.M every day. We all know that some of these updates might require a RESTART which means a SHUTDOWN first. My assumption is that it hangs up trying to do the restart, actually during the Shutdown phase. Thus, there is a conflict between the Shutdown process and hibernation mode or the power manager settings. Quite possible my power manager settings which are set quite short cause the computer to sleep when it's waiting on Shutdown processes to complete. Who knows. But, my theory is to not allow it to install updates automatically anymore -- ok to download them. Next morning my Action Center will alert me that something was downloaded and ready to install. I'll see if this circumvents the problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment