Featured Post

1021. Humpty Dumpty Joe [Biden]

 I've been quiet enough. It took me a long time to get on Obama (OBlunder) when in his times he screwed up America along with his sideki...

Monday, February 1, 2010

212. How Much is Defense Worth?

In football, defense is probably more valuable to a team than offense. How about America's Defense programs? As this article points out, the 2011 Defense Budget (separate for the overall budget) has been increased to a record high. I'm still pondering the highlights in the article, but have a better feeling that Gates is looking out for our interests both defensively and financially. The back-to-the-moon project is being cut from the non-defense budget; the early-warning defense satellite project in the defense budget is being superseded by the infrared defense satellite project. If I were to guess, the one cut was the alarm, whereas, the infrared is the hammer. I can live with blowing things out of the sky -- don't need sirens to get me scared. And, yes, C-17 transport aircraft are handy for the catastrophes of the world, like Haiti; but, isn't it time other countries ante up for these aircraft? Again, I think Gates realizes this and is correct. Just where the entire $708B goes I have no clue. However, when they state that we need to invest in new technologies, I wonder why they think the building of new command ships with that new technology is not important; they could be right in that any new technology would be retrofitted in older command ships for less. If this is true, I commend them again. A 3.4 increase in Defense is well worth the money considering the restraints also documented in the article. Better than a bridge to nowhere. I sure hope some of the big bucks goes to the personnel. Did you realize some of the Congressmen and women get paid more than the military generals? How about a little rob-Peter and pay-Paul bill?

No comments:

Post a Comment