Featured Post

1021. Humpty Dumpty Joe [Biden]

 I've been quiet enough. It took me a long time to get on Obama (OBlunder) when in his times he screwed up America along with his sideki...

Wednesday, November 6, 2019

916. RootsMagic File>Backup uses wrong folder

RootsMagic (RM) is the software I decided to use instead of ponying up to Incline for its next version of AQ16. I hit a problem today in that despite having the default folder for backups set (Tools>Program Options>Folder) when I did a manual backup within my session by doing FILE>Backup, RM used IT'S default of the "....documents" file instead of the folder and path I had defined and set up as the fault. Let me say that if RM is just closed, the correct (MINE) folder is used. Problem was that RM did NOT use the default I set up because it was too long! That's right. It ignore it and used IT'S default instead.

Jason at Technical Support via chat connected to my system and debugged it to learn this length sensitivity. The workaround was simply trim the path's name about characters. Great job Jason.

This problem was definitely not a show stopper, yet the response and fix was excellent by RootsMagic Technical Support on Chat duty. I am also amazed that instead of trolling though Help documents to learn answers to other things that were different between RM and AQ15, simply doing an Internet search found all of them! I really like this service. Plus, the product has just as much or more than AQ15 did. I think I'm a long-term customer in just 2 days of playing around. My entire database is current (imports from AQ15) and interface to FamilySearch.org seamless. Running at a 5 Stars Rating at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment