Featured Post

1021. Humpty Dumpty Joe [Biden]

 I've been quiet enough. It took me a long time to get on Obama (OBlunder) when in his times he screwed up America along with his sideki...

Tuesday, November 5, 2019

915. Ancestral Quest (AQ15) & FamilySearch 404 Errors

Beginning a couple of days ago, AQ15 (v15.0.18 or 15.0.19) could no longer communicate with FamilySearch.org without getting Error 404 for many functions. This is obviously HTTP related. I tried 2 different systems, both W10 (different versions), Chrome (2 different versions) and 2 different AQ15 versions as stated above. 404 Error occurs consistently on both systems.

My guess is that AQ15 's HTTP code is backlevel to FamilySearch's current installation! AQ came out a few weeks ago noting that AQ16 for a new registration key fee would be availableThey also stated though that AQ15 could be continued to be used for those not requiring the new function. Well, they forgot about the underlying HTTP protocol to FamilySearch that is obviously now different!

Every time I submit a problem request to AQ it goes without a response. Likewise for these problems, in addition to a 406 Error. So, goodbye AQ! Today I downloaded RootsMagic and have no problem communicating to FamilySearch. I believe it is the same price or less than AQ16. So far, it is much faster, easier, and nicer interface. I'll report on it later.
----------------------------------
Update 11/5/19 - I'll take the blame for this! As stated above AQ splashed a News update at startup. Seldom are these of any value, but I remember it as in second paragraph. Today AQ said to go to NEWS under Help. I had grown tired of the splash news and turned it off after that last news item. Didn't know how to get it back to read it. Learned how and the news was a full page long and specifically stated that the API piece was changing to support new Family Search, but only in AQ16 which would now cost me another registration fee. More specifically, the news stated that SYNCing to FamilySearch would no longer work. Yes -- 404 Errors. Had they only HIGHLIGHTED that up near the top in a concise statement such as "AQ15 will NOT function (Sync) with FamilySearch after November 4, 2019 ... you need to pay the Piper and get AQ16" nobody would miss it!. But, I'll take the blame for wanting to get to my research QUICKLY and not have to read news on a start up pop up that comes out very infrequently! Live and learn.

As far as RootsMagic: It is set up quite differently and I am still tripping over things to learn it enough to speed through my research. here are things I like and things I don't. Maybe I'll just have to take the bullet and go to AQ16. Maybe not. Just that I've used AQ for many years and can fly around it. Tune back later for more comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment