Featured Post

1021. Humpty Dumpty Joe [Biden]

 I've been quiet enough. It took me a long time to get on Obama (OBlunder) when in his times he screwed up America along with his sideki...

Saturday, January 16, 2010

195. Windows 7 Tip -- Keyboard Shortcut Commands

Ouch! I lost my touchpad and don't have a mouse. I hit this problem day 2 into my new laptop. Now what do I do? Fortunately for me I screwed this up myself (almost) by setting the touchpad (movement part) to disable (now why would the Dell software even allow me to do this when I did not have a mouse attached!). I was able to bring the PC up in SAFE mode where a PS2 Mouse Driver was used for the Touchpad instead of the DELL Touchpad Driver. Phew -- that gave me operability in SAFE mode. But I could not change the Touchpad properties back becasue its window extended below my screen -- couldn't get to the OK button. So, my resolution was to Uninstall the Dell Touchpad Driver and reinstall it to get back to its defaults.

But, what if the problem was a hardware malfunction? Then I'm SOL without a USB Mouse to attach or be able to get around with the keyboard (to at least close things down normally). Check out this site for specifics on Keyboard Shortcuts. Had I seen this before my problem, I could have done the Uninstall and reinstall of the driver in Normal Mode -- instead I had to tolerate 2 hours of Fillipe on the phone to raise my ire (don't you just hate the 1st level of support -- "I can help you" grow madder and madder!). This site seems like a good resource to add to your Favorites/Bookmarks.

No comments:

Post a Comment