Featured Post

1021. Humpty Dumpty Joe [Biden]

 I've been quiet enough. It took me a long time to get on Obama (OBlunder) when in his times he screwed up America along with his sideki...

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

192. New category -- Windows 7

Who said an old dog couldn't learn new tricks? The old laptop was archived to the closet; I got to set up the new BLUE laptop with Windows 7 on it. Let's see, that operating system must be a decade more advanced than the old Windows ME I was using. So, what did I learn and how do I like Windows 7? It will take me many posts since I am still learning my way around the new interface, but so far I am really impressed with the Network Connection functions in 7. I thought I'd have to traverse the ICONs like I did on the newer XP operating system ti get this baby hooked up and talking to the other computers on the home network. Instead, I had only needed to have them turned on and presto it found them all, shared files too. Thus, my first post gives an A+ to the Network Connectivity of Windows 7. More than I can give DELL for giving me a WLAN card that didn't support the WEP security algorithm I had established to allow the Windows ME PC to participate wirelessly. That was resolved by hard wiring the ME system to the router. Also, the WLAN (DELL 1397 Wireless WLAN Card) was no faster than the old ME Linksys wireless I had -- didn't expect it to be, but did expect some performance improvement because the processor is 3x faster. So, Mr. Fixit got his tools and poked a hole in the wall between the cold room (where XP lives) and the warm room (where 7 now lives) and attached a Network Cable to BLUE too. Ahhhh. 100 Mbps. This is like a dream. Stay tuned for more adventures with Windows 7. I have a bunch of gotchas to post about and have learned some new tricks. Have a question? Go ahead and ask it via a comment to the Post 000 in Category QUESTION which I will check periodically to answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment