Featured Post

1021. Humpty Dumpty Joe [Biden]

 I've been quiet enough. It took me a long time to get on Obama (OBlunder) when in his times he screwed up America along with his sideki...

Tuesday, May 7, 2019

872. Beware Calibre

I forgot to document my experiences with Calibre the last time, so I again fell into the rabbit hole!

Calibre seems like a slick package to do conversions of file formats. Specifically, I needed to remove DRM protection from a PDF formatted book so I could read it on my Kindle instead of on a laptop PC. I remembered Calibre, but didn't realize it handed the task off to another piece of third party software that no longer supports the latest DRM specifications. So, once again, it was useless to me and I needed to remove it from my piece. Hence, the problem! Calibre is installed via a .msi file and not a Windows installer. It does not land in Programs and Features to allow you to delete from there (Control Panel -> Programs and Features). So, look in the software folders for uninstall exec you say. Wrong. None there either. So how do you remove it and whatever it also installs wherever in your system? How about just doing a System Restore? Did it, but after searching for "Calibre" via a file manager program nothing was deleted. Strike 3!

So, I had to rely on the manual cleanup of installed programs and registry. Of course I also had to run a full virus scan plus a including Malwarebyte scan. Neither of these found anything after the System Restore, so I feel more comfortable that the Calibre installation didn't leave anything behind that would be malicious. Now, whether something resides out there that didn't have the work "calibre" in it, who knows? All I know is to never install this software ever again, or anything from a .msi file that I am not totally confident in. It is really inexcusable not to provide uninstall instructions!

No comments:

Post a Comment