Featured Post

1021. Humpty Dumpty Joe [Biden]

 I've been quiet enough. It took me a long time to get on Obama (OBlunder) when in his times he screwed up America along with his sideki...

Saturday, May 4, 2019

868."Before I Wake" by David Morrell – 4 Stars


Before I Wake by David Morrell – 4 Stars
Publisher: Subterranean Press
ISBN: 9781596069121

There were fourteen short stories in this collection; all good with about eight a 4 Stars +. I particularly enjoyed the way the stories were introduced by the author. Each was prefaced with why it was written, the style, the authors that influenced him to write the story, and what you should probably take out of it. Also his use of real people as characters not only was interesting, but also provided somewhat of a biography of each. I received a good overview of authors and previous characters I never knew. I particularly liked “The Granite Kitchen” which is one of the shortest and was funny in its presentation, despite the sadness of events. Also “The Spiritualist” stood out, pitting Sherlock Holmes against his spiritualist author Conan Doyle in a basement encounter discussing why he now had to wear the deer skin hat, smoked a large, curved calabash pipe and was killed off by Doyle only to be “reused” in later books which he noted was really an imposter. Through the prefaces you also learned about the other books written by the author that were written similarly to the short story allowing you to explore your desire to read one of his novels.

Well written and worth the read.

 

Reviewer: Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment