Featured Post

1021. Humpty Dumpty Joe [Biden]

 I've been quiet enough. It took me a long time to get on Obama (OBlunder) when in his times he screwed up America along with his sideki...

Thursday, May 31, 2018

805. MAYDAY! MAYDAY! Check on POP, Amazon!

Amazon's Kindle had two problems today.

1. I wanted to switch my email from IMAP to POP3 and after configuring, it wouldn't connect to ISP (Suddenlink here).

2. I tried to call up Tech Support via MAYDAY and it didn't work

First, let me address MAYDAY. Today I hit the ICON in Settings and it presented me with NO Connection option and, instead, presented the following screen:


Notice the DISCONTINUANCE of calling for tech support help via the MAYDAY ICON beginning June 5, 2018. Well today is still May 31, but I guess they got a jump on the world and blind-sighted everybody. If you read the paragraphs in the message carefully, you will notice that Tech Support still can get access like they did before, the only difference you have to call Customer Service now instead of simply hitting a connect. Customer Service now has the capability to initiate a Screen Saving session to do what you experienced in the past. Would have been nice if the KNEW about this, which two different reps did not. The second at least had the intelligence to find this out and confirm it was early discontinuance. So, now you just select the Phone or Email button that is presented, enter your info and number and they DO promptly call you.

Now, problem #2. You'd think it would be a simple operation. Go to Network settings for your email account (EMAIL app), select settings, select Incoming blah,blah, blah, and they change the IMAP.yourISP to POP.ISP (the names my ISP service wants) along with the port chenges (993 to 995 for my ISP). Well, this is what I did on 2 PCs and it worked immediately. NOT on the Kindle though! Heres what needs to be done:

a) Go to the EMAIL app and bring up your account(s) and select SETTINGS (I needed to swipe right to get the menu with settings on it). Now instead of selecting your account to change and trying to change IMAP to POP and ports there, DELETE the account and then ADD the account back as a new one. Now, pay attention because the procedure you might think works, doesn't without an additional step or two. 

b) At thsi point (After ADD account) you may specify the name and password, but do NOT invoke yet. Select Advanced where you can tell Kindle to use POP3 or IMAP. Tell it POP3. WARNING: You are NOT done yet. You might think specifying POP3 would automatically change the Incoming name from IMAP to POP. It doesn't!. You need to manually press the Incoming IMAP and change it to POP. What about ports? Well it will pick up 995 for the POP just fine now, so go ahead and submit the new account for creation. You should then be in business.

Why on earth do I want to use POP3 and not IMAP you ask. Consider this posted earlier re Suddenlink issue. ALL emails remain visible in their system even if delete was done on an IMAP email device. For example, I view my emails, like credit card infor, bills, broker messages of transactions, etc., and expected it to be deleted from Suddenlink if I delete it from the email device. Well, yes and no. It does get deleted from INBOX, but is kept in TRASH! I recently had an incident that required me to look on Suddenlink server via their Website and their customer rep could view everything I had in TRASH. A slight PRIVACY & SECURITY issue I would say. He even did a test by SPOOFING my name onto an email and sending it to me! Thus, I'm a POP3 fan now which does NOT synchronize with Suddenlink. I can delete on the device to get rid of it and it without Suddenlink dropping it into TRASH on their system. So, my process is delete from any of my 3 devices if I never want it saved, or SAVE it into a personal folder if I want to save it. NO personal, Private, or secire emails will ever go to TRASH on a device OR Suddenlink. I could be wrong, but I feel ore comfortable now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment