Featured Post

1021. Humpty Dumpty Joe [Biden]

 I've been quiet enough. It took me a long time to get on Obama (OBlunder) when in his times he screwed up America along with his sideki...

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

198. Windows 7 - Backup is a Nightmare!

Tried to Backup my system using Microsoft's Backup & Restore feature for the third time. Every time it gets to 38% and hangs there for hours before I try to Stop it. Stopping it doesn't work and the CD or DVD in the drive wants to live there forever -- won't eject. After trying at least 7 different ways, I did stumble onto a way to free it. However, I didn't write down how. There is always an Emergency Eject Release Hole on the CD/DVD cover that can be presses with a paper clip too. Anyway, getting back to Backup, it appears that files were written to my DVD -- about 4GB worth! Yowie. Just how much space is required to backup JUST MyDocument files? Here, I'll tell you: I used SEND TO for all the selected files in My Documents to create a ZIP file. Then I used AxCrypt (nice product) to encrypt the ZIP file so y'all can't read it (sorry). The total space used was 154.35 MB, or 0.154GB. Now tell me Microsoft's code to create a backup of same files isn't BUGGY! No solution seems to be available for Microsoft's Backup, so I'll gladly continue to use my own procedures and then shoot the encrypted file off to a CD. Hope you have better luck. Oh, the creation of a System Repair disk DID work (also part of Backup & Restore code).

1 comment:

  1. My backup & restore feature worked without any hiccups. It was a rather large file, burnt it to a DVD.

    ReplyDelete