Featured Post

1021. Humpty Dumpty Joe [Biden]

 I've been quiet enough. It took me a long time to get on Obama (OBlunder) when in his times he screwed up America along with his sideki...

Friday, January 24, 2020

937. Thank You Microsoft for version 1909

Microsoft has been doing a stellar job with its new version installations.  I was surprised that they do NOT automatically force you to update to new version until near your level end support date (May 2020 in my case). I had version 1809 and today put on version 1909 without a glitch. Took about 3 hours and 20 minutes on this old Dell Inspiron 1440. Thing is, ALL installed programs were transferred transparently except, again, the old Microsoft Windows 7 games. I have posted previously how to install them, but this time I ensured I had a backup of the card game .exe files (...exe,bak) in each game folder under folder Micorsoft games. I needed only to copy it and rename it just ....exe and each game was active except for chess which needed "chess.dll" in the chess game folder. The install saved all old folders and files in  its "windows.old" folder folder and copying it to the active chess game folder was a no brainer.

Kudos to Microsoft for a great installation experience.

May I add that I am still using Office 2003 after the upgrade. But if you visit Post 906 here re installation where it was not preinstalled on my new Lenovo, you will see that I could no longer install it on that version 1903 system and had to get a new version (also documented in the post). I was afraid I'd have to do that again, but no, the upgrade did everything with the older programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment