Featured Post

1021. Humpty Dumpty Joe [Biden]

 I've been quiet enough. It took me a long time to get on Obama (OBlunder) when in his times he screwed up America along with his sideki...

Saturday, October 31, 2015

726. Trendnet AC600 doubles G-Speed

The old 1397 G-protocol wireless network adapter in my laptop was dragging at 20Mbs given a  50Mbs Suddenlink Cable service. Cable-connected gave the ISP rated speed of 50Mbs for downloads, but the wireless behind my Netgear 300-N router dogged at 20Mbs. I chose a not-too-expensive (around $18) solution installing the Trendnet AC600 which gave me N protocol backward compatibility and increased my wireless download speed to 40 Mbs. Not much to brag about with normal Internet transactions, but downloads and streming is much better now.

I did have a few problems since the lack of proper installation documentation failed to address some gotchs:


1. Ensure IPv6 is disabled if you know you don't need it
2. If you install the accompanying utility, you will probably end up with two ICONs in the Taskbar notification area and have Sleep/Hibernate problems. UNINSTALL the utility that came with TrendNet and return to the one you have been using. You also need to go to your Startup tasks and uncheck WLAN Card Wireless Network Tray from starting
3. Don't disable QoS. Speedtests were fantastic with QoS enabled. Whereas cable-connencted gave me 50Mbs (Suddenlink subscription) for download, Qos enabled wireless gave me 40Mbs. This was twice the speed as the previous G-protocol. Very pleased.

4. Another Sleep/Hibernate issue happens when you uncheck "Allow computer to turn off power to save energy (Device Manager, Power Management tab for the adapter). Surprisingly, you need to keep this checked for Sleep/Hibernate to work correctly.

The Trendnet AC600 is a blessing for me now that I have it and the software configured for Windows 10 correctly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment