Featured Post

1021. Humpty Dumpty Joe [Biden]

 I've been quiet enough. It took me a long time to get on Obama (OBlunder) when in his times he screwed up America along with his sideki...

Thursday, October 22, 2015

722. Wireless Performance

I have a Netgear WNR2000v4 N300 router, but only a 1397 wireless card in my laptop (that's a G-protocol). I converted from AT&T DSL to Suddenlink (50Mbps/5Mbs) but was wondering why my streaming to my Chromecast was so slow. So I did a little testing yewsterday with the following results:

1. According to Speed Tests I am getting 50Mbs when cable attached to router (as expected). However, streaming through Google Chrome browser casting appears to involve downloading to browser and and redirecting to the Chromecast device on the HD TV. Whereas, HBOGO appears to connect directly from their site directly to Chromecast device. Hence, HBO is fine for streaming; but other cast through the Chrome browser suffers some. Some sites through the browser are not really viewable.

2. Wireless speeds reported from the Speed Tests was 20Mbs, which seemed low to me, even for G-protocols.
3. I moved the laptop next to the router and it didn't change a thing compared to location I normally use my laptop. Wireless was still 20Mbs. Upload was the same in both cases (cable attached and wireless at either location) at 5Mbs. 

4. Using the Netgear speed tests within the router code, it reports ridiculously low speeds to specific sites. For example, to netgear.com it was 756Kbps and to Yahoo ir was 17Kbps. Far screen from the cable download/upload speeds indicated from typical independent Speed Tests. I am at a loss to what Netgear measures via their speed tests other than some very, very small package of bits. Conclusion: forget Netgear measurements.

Last night I ordered a new network USB AC-dual band USB device to replace my old 1397 G.  From what I understand, the G 1397 and protocol can't deliver more than what I am seeing, but the new AC-dual band running N protocol should double that speed. Hence, streaming should improve since at least the communication to the Chromecast device is wireless! 

By November, I'll have new speed tests and casting tests to post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment