Featured Post

1021. Humpty Dumpty Joe [Biden]

 I've been quiet enough. It took me a long time to get on Obama (OBlunder) when in his times he screwed up America along with his sideki...

Thursday, April 16, 2020

950. The garden and the 3-day April winter

We waited (NOT) for winter the whole season and finally got it on the evening of  4/12 until morning of 5/15. Who would expect the temperatures to drop below freezing for 19 straight hours plus other days then in Amarillo? I already planted a lot in my garden, so I took the time to cover everything -- a mere 400-450 sq feet. Had my tomatoes in Wall-of-Waters, so they kept a cozy temperature throughout. Unbelievably, everything survived. My beets and radishes I left uncovered, so I was surprised about those. two of my potato plants showed some leaf damage, but that's all. My cold frame stuff -- lettuce, onions, beets, cilantro -- were fine. Cabbage, leeks, and spinach came through, even those uncovered. Another slight scare of 30-32 degrees tonight, then we're finally deep into Spring here with daytime temps in 70s and nights above 47. Tomorrow the Snow peas, Green beans, squash (in Wall-of-Waters), and possibly 1 or two cucumbers (ground temp was 62F) more. Inside my Green peppers are looking great, more cucumbers in pots,  and the hot stuff - chilies, cayenne, Serrano, jalapeno, poblano, Habenero -- should be ready to sprout in a few days. To weather the hot sun in Summer, I am going to try a 30% sun filter cover over the tomatoes. It would be nice to have them last until Fall.

Freezers are cleaned and ready for the harvests. We are already enjoying the lettuce, radishes, a few onions, cilantro,  and cabbage and are 2 pints away from depleting the apple sauce. We still have a few dinners in the freezer of stuffed peppers and other 2019 harvests vegetables.

Well, here's to SUNNY days. I think we'll all need them after this COVID-19 virus shut-in. Fortunately for us the special measures suggested and required are no different than we already live. Does that mean its good to be older? We hope everybody else can enjoy the happy days ahead. They are coming.

UPDATE: 5/28/2020 - 😠 THREE small apples growing!!! A far cry from the 500+ in previous years. This is the second year in 15 that a freeze wiped us out. Bad News = No apples, apple sauce, apple pies, etc. this year. Good News = No flocks of birds in my trees. Tough to be a farmer depending on the weather. We'll just have to make due with the 14 tomato plants, 15 green peppers plants, 15 Chile and various hot pepper plants, zucchini, summer squash, cucumbers, green beans, garden peas, snow peas, lima beans, cabbage, spinach, lettuce, beets (love those pickled beets), potatoes, etc. This year I am covering my tomatoes with a 30% shade cover in an attempt to preventing them from burning up in the hot, summer Texas Panhandle heat. Will report back in Fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment