Featured Post

1021. Humpty Dumpty Joe [Biden]

 I've been quiet enough. It took me a long time to get on Obama (OBlunder) when in his times he screwed up America along with his sideki...

Sunday, February 10, 2019

850. Black & Decker...Plumbing...Edition 7" by Cool Spring Press -- 4 Stars


Black & Decker The Complete Guide to Plumbing Updated 7th Edition  by Editors of Cool Spring Press – 4 Stars
Publisher: Quarto Publishing Group – Cool Spring Press
ISBN: 9780760362815

If one can’t use the Internet, then a hard copy book is essential, particularly for emergencies or minor repairs. Several DIY books are on the market with some like this one dedicated specifically for Plumbing, while some others cover topics more completely and add troubleshooting and repair for key appliances in the plumbing system. My father was a plumber and I did pipe fitting during the summers while attending school. Therefore, I know the basics and more. Yet, I am challenged by the many weird things that occur in a plumbing system, such as pipes hammering only after a toilet flushing, popping noises from the hot water heater, hard water destroying shut off valves, water filtering solutions, cleaning vents, and periodic toilet stoppage in cold months to name a few. So, I’m looking for something that UP FRONT alerts me to any potentially misbehaving components of my plumbing system; then gives me the remedies and repair procedures.

I like that Black & Decker did nicely cover plumbing materials, fittings, repair materials, and tools. I found the information on the use of more skilled tools needed in some cases complete enough for the layman to begin to tackle. The book is reasonably well organized and provides clear step-by-step pictures to aid the user in performing the job. Yet, unlike the Internet a book does not provide videos of a repair being done and is limited to repairs in general.

I’m here to evaluate the book though, not how to best get all the information I need for a plumbing job. Thus, I would rate it better than average. If at all possible, and maybe I missed it, a reference to repair videos and websites would be a nice touch, as would actual videos on the Black & Decker Website that could be downloaded.
 

Reviewer: Rich

 


No comments:

Post a Comment