Featured Post

1021. Humpty Dumpty Joe [Biden]

 I've been quiet enough. It took me a long time to get on Obama (OBlunder) when in his times he screwed up America along with his sideki...

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

768. Microsoft Happy Anniversary 1607 Update Surprise

This afternoon I went to get on my PC and it told me to wait, updates were being applied and several restarts may occur. Well, after an hour it got to 57% so I figured the Windows Anniversary Update 1607 was being pushed on. I wasn't yet prepared for this like usual, i.e., took no system image, didn't write down Start stuff that might disappear, etc.

Well, to my surprise when I did finally get on and it came all the way up, everything was nearly the same. Yes Cortana was back on (I had deleted her) but she was turned off. There was one thin on my Start menu that disappeared, but I can't remember what was there. One Drive nagged me initially indicating that I need to sign into use it (I don't). And what this Ink thing is ... well it isn't on my PC! 

So, the install was effortless and effective. Just the way I wanted it to be configured. Thank you Microsoft.

Well, NOT SO FAST. Remember the old card games that I modified to get working: Freecell, Hearts, Spider. there DEAD. I will pursue putting them back on AND check out all the other nuisances that I experienced when updating from Windows 7. Stay tuned. Update 9/29/16: See Post 706 for new instructions to get ALL the Windows 7 games back and running.

May I add that after researching the Anniversary Update "Bewares" and like, I have found most to be untrue, e.g.,
1. The Default Apps remained the same as I had before (they say changed)
2. Cortana remained OFF as I had before (they said ON)
3. Sype Preview is NOT set with you signed in as they said if it was off before

The only things I had to do are:
1. Install Windows 7 Games
2. Put the Volume ICON back into Syaytem Tray
3. Unpinned Store, Edge, Search from Taskbar

In other words, you couldn't expect any installation this size to be finer. Kudos to MSFT

No comments:

Post a Comment