Featured Post

1021. Humpty Dumpty Joe [Biden]

 I've been quiet enough. It took me a long time to get on Obama (OBlunder) when in his times he screwed up America along with his sideki...

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

766. Display ALL FILES within SAVE AS dialog

Under Chrome when you get to the point that yo want to save a PDF file, it's SAVE AS dialog box gives you a default choice of .PDF, but also allows you to select "All Files" in the "Save As Type" selection box. IE and Edge do NOT have the code to give you the option to look at all files in the folder by selecting an "All Files" option as described.

Problem: I encrypt my files and the suffix changes from the given name, for example, ABC.PDF to one the encryption software uses, for example the ABC.PDF file gets converted to ABC-PDF.XXX where .xxx is know to the encryption software. Thus, if I want to determine the file name convention I'm using for a specific file I am trying to save, I have no way way to display existing files of the .PDF type because they are already changed to .XXX. Confused? Let me  give you another example:

2016_File1.PDF is created
2016_File2.PDF is created
I encrypt them and thy become :
   2016_File1-PDF.XXX, and
   2016_File2-PDF.XXX
Next week I go to a website and select my current Financial Statement. It displays in Adobe Reader and I select an option to SAVE it. The SAVE AS dialog popup comes up with the file name entered as "Your_Financial _Statement_20160812". I don't want this long name, but forgot the naming convention I used for these statements. I maneuver to get to the desired folder and want to see the format of the names I already saved previously so I can create a similar name this time. However, the Save As dialog box does NOT give me an option to view All the Files and instead only lists files ending in .PDF. Not Helpful! As I stated, Chrome DOES give you the option which is PROGRAMMED within their version of PDF handler (NOT ADOBE). So, If I am using a different browser, such as IE or Edge, I will NOT see an "All Files option. Thus, without the trick below, I have to bring up File Explorer to see the desired format.

SOLUTION:

The solution in IE and Edge or any other Save As dialog, or probably even an Open dialog where the choice is ONLY the file type that the application knows, is to enter an * in the file type and hit enter. This will cause all files to be listed in the dialog box. Voile! 

No comments:

Post a Comment