Featured Post

1021. Humpty Dumpty Joe [Biden]

 I've been quiet enough. It took me a long time to get on Obama (OBlunder) when in his times he screwed up America along with his sideki...

Sunday, August 9, 2015

714. Windows 10 doesn’t Sleep

Initial tests indicated that when Chrome is left open and displayed, Windows won’t Sleep. Further testing revealed that this appears to be linked to Yahoo Stock page being open (it is constantly updating data). When it’s tab is closed, Sleep works. I haven’t thoroughly tested though. Could be that when just multiple tabs are open it won’t sleep. I plan to close Chrome each time before walking away. I'll report back here should a different cause become known.

Chrome isn't the only cause of this. With Chrome closed it still did not sleep as explained here: the SLEEP trigger (set at 1 minute for testing) did indeed kick off and the screen went blank leaving just the power switch illuminated as it should (on Dell Inspiron). However, when I moved mouse attached to USB (wireless Logitech), up came my screen where I left off. I did NOT get the security login screen as I should after a sleep. Also, it was instantaneous leading me to assume that it never went to sleep, but just turned off the screen. Further debugging led me to disable things one-by-one. When I got to the USBs I had only the mouse in one of the three USB ports. As soon as I pulled the USB mouse unit from the USB and waited the 1 minute, the PC DID go to SLEEP! Hence, I stuck it in each of the other USB ports and tested. SLEEP DID work in each of the other two. After doing this again several times between the ports, only the ONE USB failed every time, whereas the other two worked every time. HURRY! USB port problem.

Now that that was resolved, I again explored the first problem with CHROME open. It FAILED! Thus, the problems are multiple: USB PORT OR CHROME OPEN. btw, I did NOT have Yahoo Stock page open when it failed this time, but I did have a home screen that updated email availability. Further research of Internet articles suggested causes may be pages that get updated, adobe flash running in one, multiple tabs open, Chrome changing a timer resolution limit and not resetting it, etc.
Too much to debug Microsoft's problem. I'll run with the new USB port and always close Chrome and see if I have at least conquered a bypass. Of course I'll update this should I see yet another occurrence of the SLEEP not working.

No comments:

Post a Comment