Featured Post

1021. Humpty Dumpty Joe [Biden]

 I've been quiet enough. It took me a long time to get on Obama (OBlunder) when in his times he screwed up America along with his sideki...

Thursday, June 18, 2020

966. Explorer.exe failed to load application texts. Immediate exit. Axcrypt Involved

After installer 6/2020 MSFT Feature Update, I started to get Defender messages indicating threats. I removed a Trojan successfully and everything ran afterwards. But, I then received a LOW threat re AxcryptMessages.DLL stating Win32/CandyOpen threat. I told Defender to remove the threat, but then started getting tons of show stopping errors giving error: "Explorer.exe failed to load application texts. Immediate exit." This came up at many points, eg.:
-- Couldn't start File Explore most of the time
-- Couldn't right click to get context menu anytime
-- starting Everything application
-- Cutting/pasting files from Kindle to PC
These are not all the points of error by far.

Research of this error on the web led to no constructive answers or suggestions that resulted in a lot of data and none of which were simple to fix. The one that probably was closest to resolving the issue was to download the free ShellExView application which lists all extensions and allows you to disable the culprit. I had a total of 255 extensions listed and the 35 or so with current date had nothing to do with the problem. So I did NOT use ShellExView to resolve my issue.

Instead I looked at the Threat Defender removed for me: AxcryptMessages.DLL Win32/CandyOpen. This was signaled as a LOW threat. I Allowed Defender to remove it -- and it did by deleting the .DLL from my system completely, i.e., no recovery. I found that Axcrypt was involved by trying to access it to Decrypt a file -- YES, using Explorer to first list the files (I had explorer up on screen some how-- clicking File Explorer ICON sometimes allowed it to come up. Guess I should give the steps:
-- I used ShellExView to disable to two Axcrypt entries from 2017
-- This allowed me to get Explorer up and do the Right-click context screen.
-- But now, AcCrypt commands to Encrypt/Decrypt were no longer present
-- I tried clicking on an encrypted file (one of 1000s) and it failed. Now I panicked.
-- I Still had the Axcrypt installed and checked the version, found the install file I used back in 2016
-- Executed the install file and instead of installing requested REPAIR. It worked and Axcrypt back in service and all problems resolved
I assume I'll again get the threat from Defender and will then address it again. Need to read about CandyOpen and associated .DLL file. Could be valid. But, for no I am back to normal.

Note: There is another Axcrypt post re Version 2 which I will not use and reasons why. You can find it by searching for "Axcypt" at the top of this blog

No comments:

Post a Comment