Featured Post

1021. Humpty Dumpty Joe [Biden]

 I've been quiet enough. It took me a long time to get on Obama (OBlunder) when in his times he screwed up America along with his sideki...

Tuesday, June 2, 2020

961. "The House that Fell from the Sky" by Patrick Delaney -- 4 Stars

The House that Fell from the Sky by Patrick Delaney -- 4 Stars
Publisher: Oblivion Publishing
ISBN: 9780578660790

The House that Fell from the Sky is difficult to review, but I thank Netgalley and the publisher for making it available to me for an honest opinion.
 I enjoyed the story and loved the imagination put into it. The “House” is really much more than a house. I don’t understand the title at all, nor its characters suggesting it is a house. It appears as a physical, but paranormal, structure covering city blocks and at least seven stories high. Plus, the powers of the “House” go beyond just the physical structure alone and affect anybody close to it. The descriptions of the horror within it are vivid leaving little more to imagine; they are outright, unbelievably frightening. The four main characters (Scarlett, Tommy, Jackson, and Hannah), each with mental flaws or inhibitors that prevent them from moving on in life successfully fit the story well for each has a major disadvantage in facing the horror of the “House” that demands they work together  to do so. A fifth character Vincent, a magician from the past who has an unknown, until the end, connection to them helps coordinate the teamwork and direction through the house.
 I enjoy horror and began liking the detailed descriptions of the rooms within. However, the repetitive detail for each and every room became annoyingly tiresome to wade through. Hey, I get it. The place is scary, but I really didn’t care after the first four times to know what every crook and cranny looked like. Likewise, the “monsters” or occupants or spirits or whatever descripting are necessary, but later when still more ghouls were introduced, the same descriptions again with minor variances became boring. It was like going through a haunted house at a fair where every so many feet a figure pops out that isn’t much different – it’s the popping out that is scary. Yet, I must emphasize that the initial descriptions were shockingly memorable and provided a clear visual of the horror.
 It took 15% to get to any horror. Until then, the four main characters and a few others were the story and that wasn’t well done. Much too much dialogue between the characters and little cohesive foundation. It took me a while to realize that Todd was Chief Briggs and he was Jackson’s father. Plus, Hannah was sort of a “left-town” person with very little description of who she was and details of why. I feel character building should have been done more effectively. This brings me to the “BEFORE” chapters which to me were no more than the author realizing that the initial character introductions were already too long, but the content in those chapters still needed to be told. They were of no real value and became page fillers. So, my summary of character building is that it was overloaded with chit-chat between young adults that acted like teens and from the dialogues I was being asked to form my own opinions instead of the author presenting meaningful meat and potatoes.
 Despite struggling through the things that annoyed me, I couldn’t put this book down. The constant horror, twists and turns, and need to continue were gripping. Eventually, the entire picture became clear and the end came, not entirely as expected. However, it was presented effectively and was memorable.
 I find that there were many 5-Star parts of this novel, but just enough 3-Star annoyances to make this an overall 4-Star performance. I look forward to improvements in this author’s future books to solidly define him as a great horror writer.

Reviewer: Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment