Featured Post

1021. Humpty Dumpty Joe [Biden]

 I've been quiet enough. It took me a long time to get on Obama (OBlunder) when in his times he screwed up America along with his sideki...

Thursday, September 22, 2011

299. But I Did Have a Bumper Tomato Crop This Year

Despite the Texas drought, my tomatoes were excellent. If I would only know why. For 5 years I failed at growing a decent crop, then when we have out worse drought it is spectacular. This year I got the tomatoes in earlier than ever -- had 1' plants in the ground by April 7. Yes, still quite cool here -- usually low 30's at night and some days went to 29. My plants were protected as in earlier years with the Wall-of-Water. You can buy them locally anywhere -- plastic tubes all attached ina circle that you fill with water. Water absorbs sun's radiant heat and keeps the plant and ground warm over night. Ten plants and 260 tomatoes. Not bad considering 2-3 didn't produce more than 3-5. Now beans were a different problem! The heat, 54 days over 100-degrees, finished them off without producing more that one handful of beans. Squash followed suit but a little better. Bottom line: cold veggies (beets, turnips, carrots, spinach, lettuce, etc) produced above normal, whereas, summer things like beans and squash suffered. Hot peppers made it through and are producing well even now. Our property had exactly 3 light rains (less than 0.1" each time) the whole year -- actually since fall 2010. Maybe I should start a desert-naming game for the next great America desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment