Featured Post

1210. Presidential Debate - Trump and Harris Ridiculous

 So was there a winner of the Presidential debate or just another setup with ABC? I'll agree that Kamala was more composed and the strat...

Thursday, May 16, 2024

1200. RESOLVED - Touchpad toggle (FN+F6) FIXED on Lenovo S340 Ideapad

 Say goodbye to my way to toggle touchpad on/off via the FN+F6 keys! This worked until 5/15/2024 MSFT update along with many more issues, such as a 40-60 second lag trying to select an item under PERSONALIZATION. However, it still works on my other Lenovo. So, what is the problem?

I tried everything I could find on Internet, like uninstall drivers and restart, BIOS, cleaning key, etc. All were useless.

Why you ask to I ever want to disable the touchpad? Because this Ideapad MS340 touchpad lies under my part of my left hand when I type. Of course, if you do not rest your left hand on the surface of the laptop, you will not experience the problems it causes. What problems? For instance, start typing a few paragraphs in WORD (carefully with left hand above the laptop surface). No start a new sentence and in the middle rest you left had on surface so the right part of left hand touched the touchpad area while you want to complete the sentence. If your PC works like mine you may find that you are no longer where you want to be. The remainder of the sentence you are typing jumps to some other place in the document! WORD, email, etc -- any place you are typing may jump like this. Thus, I always disable the Touchpad before long text input. Easiest way is to do a FN+F6. Now the solution is to do START, type touchpad, then switch the toggle to OFF (or ON to get it back on). 

Pretty annoying. I'll be pursuing this issue. So far, I ran into Microsoft killing the Troubleshooters to be replaced in 2025! Looks like Microsoft is involved somehow. Its updates have been horrible for the last 6-12 months. Must be the EIC people selection process they have been using!

UPDATE: 5/24/2024

After 7+ more hours of searching for ways to resolve this, I found one, But to implement it I had to resolve at least 6 other Microsoft problems. The fix was to download Lenovo Hotkeys App from the Microsoft Store, but to do this I had to correct the Microsoft Store issues below. Anyway, once I could GET the package, I opened it and its launch fixed everything. Now not only does the "special" hotkey on the F6 key (toggle touchpad) on my S340 Lenovo work again, but so do the other special hotkeys that were also broken (F4-Microphone, F8-Camera, etc. Mentioned in the Help was that the APP must be started at Login each time to continue to work. This is already set in its settings to happing and works after a Restart too! So, I am peeing all over the floors I'm so happy (remember, I am Sam the Lab).


The hard part was getting Microsoft Store functioning again as noted below:

SOLUTION: Read on for all I tried, but here is what FINALLY worked: Bring up Start > Services and find "Windows Defender Firewall". Make sure it is set as Automatic (Double-click and look), STOP it, then START it. Unbelievably easy.

PROBLEM: Initially when I got to Microsoft Store, I was already logged in and could look at all my settings. When I tried to GET a desires APP, it failed every time no matter which APP I tried and asked me to sign in again. I went to top and clicked sign-in, but got error 0x800706dt. So, I could not get any APP AND I couldn't sign-in at the Store.

UNSUCCESSFUL ATTEMPTS: First, I can't say these attempts were not PARTIALLY successful, but none completely resolved the issue:

I tried everything found on the Internet from 

1. Microsoft Store Repair and Reset, 

2. checking my file integrity via SFC /scannow, 

3. Using Powershell to get, install, register Microsoft Store

4. Resetting my Microsoft Account password, signing out, signing back in

5. Clearing Microsoft cache, 

6. I spent so much time chasing my tail with Microsoft Store issue! Don't expect to find any article that correctly leads you through the Troubleshooting of the Store! NONE got me there. I even though maybe my Local Login instead of Microsoft Login played into the problem -- it didn't. However, I went down another rabbit hole trying to switch from Local to Microsoft Login and found it's instructions were bad too. 

7. yada, yada, yada

I can't remember all the hurdles I tripped over or the hoops of fire that singed me, and, regrettably, can't remember where or who finally gave me the solution to the Microsoft Store problem. But, suffice it to say, only one of at least 50 articles actually gave the specific instructions to STOP and START the Windows Defender Firewall service. A few others alluded to an antivirus protection and its firewall obstructing it, but none simply said STOP and reSTART the service applicable. So, now you have it.












































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment