Featured Post

1021. Humpty Dumpty Joe [Biden]

 I've been quiet enough. It took me a long time to get on Obama (OBlunder) when in his times he screwed up America along with his sideki...

Saturday, October 16, 2021

1130. Disable TOUCHPAD on Lenovo AND fix reenabling issue

 Just how many times did my hand accidentally touch the TOUCHPAD on my Lenovo and screw up what I was typing? Countless. I learned that the key marked F6 also has the Touchpad symbol to disable it or enable it. But can this always be disabled across Restarts? YES. Go to START button then type in Mouse Settings. Select "Touchpad" in menu on left. Now UNCHECK the "Leave touchpad on when a mouse is connected". This will disable it so no more accidental touches will occur. when the mouse is attached. Of course, you will have it enabled automatically when the mouse is not attached. I also see a switch that can be turned off instead to turn off the touchpad. I want it enables when no mouse is attached, so don't think I want it always turned off. I don't know how that function works, but I do know the method just explained to disable it when mouse is connected works AND allows me to go back in to check it again if necessary.

Another option is to just use the F6-Touchpad Toggle whenever desired. This doesn't protect you from accidental touches if enabled, but will disable it for periods you know you can't afford an accidental hit. I did this for a long time before I searched other alternatives like the one above.

--------------------

To set off permanently, change the Registry:

Here is what you need to do to disable the touchpad via Registry:

  1. Press Win + R to open the Run command box.
  2. Type "Regedit" and hit OK.
  3. Allow user control access by tapping Yes.
  4. Navigate to the PrecisionTouchPad status folder using the following path. (You can also copy-paste it into the Registry.)
    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PrecisionTouchPad\Status
  5. Double-tap on Enabled entry to change Value data.
  6. Set Value x  to 0 instead of 1.
--------------------o
FIX enabling Touchpad:
Settings ... type TOUCHPAD SETTINGS ... ensure Touchpad is enable by switch on right AND, most importantly if you want to test whether it is on, press the DOWN arrow and check the box to ensure it is on when mouse is connected. Immediately, you can now use the touchpad.  BUT BEWARE: I already lost what I was typing -- the text moved elsewhere in the Blog because I accidentally touched it when typing. 'tis the reason I set it permanently off. Now I must remember to use the F6 key to turn it on and off too. No more accidents when F^ toggled it off! Why am I back to using it? Had to help a fellow and needed my Laptop, but forgot the Mouse! This way I can use it via F6 toggle. lol. 

No comments:

Post a Comment