Featured Post

1021. Humpty Dumpty Joe [Biden]

 I've been quiet enough. It took me a long time to get on Obama (OBlunder) when in his times he screwed up America along with his sideki...

Saturday, November 18, 2017

788. "Save AS" or Print not working

Two separate processes failed for me the other day and had my head and tail shaking with frustration. One time I tried to Print from my brokerage account. Hitting PRINT on  its website under Chrome gave me A print dialog. I emphasize "A" since I think it was the standard default print dialog put out by Chrome since it had an option at the bottom to use the Sys Print dialog instead. Anyway, that is not really important for cause of problem is same as in "Save As" and various other actions. The bottom line for Print is that it went through its actions and looked like it completed normally, but NO print. The document never even made it to the PC's printer queue. Scratch, scratch? So, I go over to IE 11 and perform the function and it works. Aha, a Chrome problem! Yes in a way, but not really.

Meanwhile, I thought I'd look at a credit card statement. Did what I normally do, i.e., hit the download in the CC application, and view it with the default viewer, in this case Microsoft Edge. Voile, I see it. Now I want to save it into my appropriate financial folder so I select download within Edge to specify the file folder and name. Whoa. Error. Can't find file blah.blah.blah.blah. Well, blah.blah.blah.blah folder path was changed the other day. As a matter of fact it was deleted and all my financial files put under a different directory, and thus path. Scratch, scratch!

Other actions may or may not have occurred independent from these two example, I can't recall. My old dog mind went foggy after the 1st issue. But, after a doggy treat the sparks went off. TEMPORARY file names were being used from the other day, rather than the new names! YES. As it turns out, the print dialog and "Save As" dialog attempt to utilize the LAST file name (full path of course) to simplify your life, assuming you probably want to perform your action there. WRONG in this case. Both dialogs looked for a path that was deleted, instead of a default the new default set up to the new path. The print dialog gave no indication that it failed. The "Save As" dialog at least gave me the old path name that led set off the fireworks. Why did IE11 work? Because I never use it to do these actions and there wasn't a temporary name used!

So, here's the warning and solution: If you run into something like this any where after making a change to a file path recently, assume you still have temporary file names lying around that will be used by system functions. So, go to your cleanup program, CCleaner in my case, and clean up the trash. After the CCleaner run that deleted all temporary crap, every thing went back to normal. My  new defaults primed the pumps, after which the dialogs mentioned here used again, but now new, last used file names. 

Good boy. Here's another treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment