Featured Post

1021. Humpty Dumpty Joe [Biden]

 I've been quiet enough. It took me a long time to get on Obama (OBlunder) when in his times he screwed up America along with his sideki...

Thursday, November 19, 2015

732. WARNING: MSFT 1511 Cumulative Update wipes out things

WARNING : You will be bitten by the automatic updates today or soon. Version 1511 is ready and gets installed. I'm probably too late for some of you to prevent or prepare for destruction, but here is what I found so far and it has taken 2 days so far to detect and clean them up:

1. The Windows 7 Card Games zap documented in Post #706 disappears. All tiles and taskbar icons will disappear for Spider, Freecell, and Hearts. The problem goes beyond these games though. Seems that ALL programs you installed NOT via the Microsoft installer that are in the Program Files or Program Files (X86) folders will disappear! You might try looking for what you lose in the c:\Windows.Old folder, but as far as the games, you will only find the .exe files WITHOUT your previous zaps. See the updated Post #706 to get you back and playing.

2. If you had changed Title Bars as in Post # 124, you will have to do it again. STOP! This upgrade added an option to Desktop Personalize: "Show color on Start, Taskbar, Action Center, Titlebars". Simply turn it on and select your color.

3. The Desktop theme disappears and you need to right-click desktop, personalize, theme and select the one you desire again.

4. Task Manager returns to MSFT's default of NO details. Go there (Ctrl-Shift-ESC) and select DETAILS to get a meaningful task manager tool back.

5. ONE Drive gets reinitialized as ACTIVE. If you had it disabled, do it again.

6. I was missing 3 tiles from my start menu and couldn't remember which ones. I went to Windows.old, but still could not identify what was deleted. I know Speccy64 was one of them and got it from Windows.old\program Files. This does NOT get installed via MSFT Installer, so put it somewhere other than Program Files and rePIN to start or taskbar as desired. Same with anything else that was deleted that you can remember. Ahhh. Another was Spybot. I simply reinstalled 2.4.This apparently was removed by Microsoft because of some subscription requirement which Spybot people knew nothing about. But, 2.4 runs. Add CCleaner to the list of programs deleted. I got to reinstall and redo my saved cookies list! Thanks MSFT! CCleaner detects that Edge and IE are now active, but nor started by me, when cleaning files. Guess I need to look at this now.

7. One good thing that was fixed was that the folders in Quick Access (HOME Edition) can NOW BE REORDERED by dragging to new location. Thank you MSFT for that.

8. Post #712 showed how to disable Caps Lock. You get to redo this if you want this.

9. The disturbing Google Chrome "Shockwave crashed" error again occurs after this install. Haven't figured out how to fix it yet. If you researched this, Google imbeds its own Pepperflash. Although when you do a about::plugins in Chrome and see only the imbedded flash, there is still some conflict with one already installed on your system. As a matter of fact if you look at your installed programs you will see that this MSFT upgrade ADDED its own version 19 NPAPI flashplayer module! I saw a few comments on Internet that it needs to be uninstalled for Chrome to work right, but then, if you also use IE you will need it! So, wait for Google to correct this I guess. I just installed another MSFT update "Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3103688)" in hopes the Chrome flash relies on it. Fingers crossed.

10. MAJOR Performance Problem

Update 11/21/15:  My Bad - I mistakingly installed  2GB + 1GB memory instead of 2GB + 4GB! So, I have been running on 3GB instead of 6GB the entire time with Windows 10. Therefore, I must compliment MSFT for the fine performance of their system even on 3GB on this old Dell Inspiron 1440 PC. I caught this after reinstalling Speccy due to its removal by the upgrade and running it. Ignore the remaining text re this problem (or shall I say no-problem).

The process "System and Compressed Memory" in this version kills my performance periodically (90+%% CPU and 89% disk).  MSFT claims this process "helps" performance by compressing system pages and keeping them in memory instead of physically paging them out to disk. Well, instead, it takes loads of CPU to do the compression AND on a system with limited memory, like my old Dell with 5 GB, it now compresses (using memory and CPU) + Paging (Compressed page? using same CPU as before + more memory for this process to do its job). So, when MSFT downloads updates (automatically) and starts installing, we are back to the old systems where the system bogs down because it overloads the "System and Compressed Memory" process AND paging. I have also noticed that there persistent attempt to kill Chrome gets involved here too since Chrome uses gobs of memory compared to IE and thus gets caught in this compressed memory process big time. The more tabs opened, the worse it gets by leaps and bounds! Even though my memory usage (even on this 6 GB'er) has never been near its 100% before this build update, it certainly goes there now. I see this as an attempt by MSFT to not only kill Chrome, but also to drive users to larger machines with more memory and CPU power to support future features. I found some weird "solutions" to try while searching, but am leery of doing them. I am including them here ONLY for documentation purposes. If anybody tries one of them, please COMMENT as to effects and problem resolution. Thanks.

     a) Disable BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) service, OR
     b) If you have ample memory, disable Pagefile/swapfile

11. Goodbye Adobe! MSFT update changed default app for .pdf files to EDGE! If you want to go back to Adobe Reader, go to system Settings and set it up again. UPDATE 12/1/2015: Just recently I have noticed that looking at a PDF file by clicking within an Internet site also goes to EDGE within whatever browser you are using. I just finished perusing a PDF document that way and saw the same Chrome bookmark bar on top. When I rolled over it I noticed that the EDGE Favorites were being shown, not Chrome. Select one and you stay in Edge.

12. 456 ERRORS in Event Viewer since install (less than 2 complete days)!!!!!. I', curious as to how many of the errors were due to my mistake of running this on just 3GB as explained in 10 above. It appears so far many of them. If this is the case, the upgrade added some memory usage size, but not enough to shut anything down.

13. Added on 1/22/16: Once again the first display of DOWNLOADS folder takes forever to load. Prior to this MSFT update I had to change Properties (Customize) of the Downloads folder from PICTURES to GENERAL. The MSFT update apparently switched if back and needed to be customized again.


Conclusion? Can't say I'll be hanging with MSFT much longer if they continue to pull these stunts. And  then after over 1.5 hours of installation they have the nerve to display on your screen Don't worry your files remained the same! Folks, this was a new O/S install, NOT a cumulative updates install! I'll pause for a while to consider the benefits of the upgrade (resolved a lot of my problems) vs. effort to redo some things.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment