Featured Post

1021. Humpty Dumpty Joe [Biden]

 I've been quiet enough. It took me a long time to get on Obama (OBlunder) when in his times he screwed up America along with his sideki...

Tuesday, November 10, 2020

997. Dish Network's OTA a MAJOR problem - 12/02/20 Update

 11/20/2020 Update: I have not used the Prime Video APP since last report (11/10/20) on the Dish Network's Hopper 3 and OTA channels and DVR use to record from them have worked flawlessly. It seems that Prime Video collides with OTA buffers/settings and causes the pixilation and sound interruption problems. So, just don't use Prime Video via the Hopper 3. Instead use Amazon's Fire TV and Internet connection. It is simple to switch from Dish TV to Fire TV via the Dish Remote. Although this is the workaround to prevent the problems, it does not explain what is going on internally that really causes the problems. I would venture to guess the OTA does NOT reserve Dish memory (not on their OTA Adapter) to do some work and Prime Video overwrites it.

12/02/20 Update: Problems resolved entirely (22 days) to date by NOT using Prime Video App. OTA works fine when Prime Video not used.  So, if you want the local channels over Antenna using OTA Adapter, then don't use Prime Video. Instead, get a Fire TV HDMI adapter for your TV and use Dish remove side buttons (TV followed by Input(s)) to switch to Fire TV. Jump back to Dish Satellite again using side buttons (TV followed by Input(s)) until back to Dish Satellite. Simple and just as fast. The only difference is that you will need to use Fire TV remote for Prime.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've posted before re Dish Network's Over-the-Air Adapter (OTA) and it's conflict with Prime Video app running on the Hopper 3. Here is a short list of issues with the OTA:

1. If Prime Video app run, it will collide with the OTA running and eventually or even immediate loss of OTA channel, pixilation, and/or broken sound.

2. OTA also has issues with DVR recording, again presenting broken sound and pixilation problems. I have to conclude if these are due to Prime Video running sometime previously without a Hopper 3 boot.

3. Other users have documented in posts on the Internet problem 2 along with a flakey work around where you need to tune-in to the OTA channel to be recorded PRIOR to recording. How do you do this when you aren't present to do so? Suggested was starting a recording on the desired channel to start 3 minutes before schedule. Then start a second recording of the program on that channel to start at the scheduled start time. They claim the first recording will show the corruption, whereas, the second recording will be clean. I haven't tried this -- too weird for me.

Instead, I think I have things resolved by doing the following:

Problem 1 - Never use the Prime Video App on the Dish Hopper 3! Instead, I use the Fire TV adapter and shoot directly to it from Internet instead. I haven't seen a problem since doing this.

Problem 2 - I MUST record OTA channels. So far, I can UNLESS I use Prime Video prior without restarting (rebooting) Hopper 3. I'm still in test mode for this solution. If I find like others that the problem exists without the Prime Video app running, I'll consider Problem 3's solution. 

Bottom Line: The OTA is NOT a well designed adapter. I did read that there is an AirTV adapter that could be used instead that might resolve the issues. We shouldn't have to resort to this. Dish Network needs to get there act together!

No comments:

Post a Comment