Featured Post

1021. Humpty Dumpty Joe [Biden]

 I've been quiet enough. It took me a long time to get on Obama (OBlunder) when in his times he screwed up America along with his sideki...

Saturday, December 28, 2019

927. "We Are Monsters" by Brian Kirk – 3.5 Stars

We Are Monsters by Brian Kirk – 3.5 Stars
Publisher: Flame Tree Press
ISBN: 9781787583795

I thought I had a great story for the first 70%: well written, interesting, entertaining, and logical. I enjoyed the characters, relationships, and unique behaviors, challenges, and future plans. A new and total cure for schizophrenia raised my antenna for intriguing possibilities and, since this was under the Horror Category, some weird and scary events. I wasn’t wrong, and the horror did come about 55% into the story like falling off a cliff. The story changed from a mystery about who killed someone to a deeply psychotic world surrounding the insane and the staff caring for them. The murder is explained as an effect of the new drug use, but is the patient the only one involved? I was locked in for the next 15% of the book consuming brilliant fantasies and a crescendo of horror. Up to this point my rating would have been around 4.5.

However, too much of one thing, especially when is no longer new and refreshing, becomes stale and boring. I tired of reading trivial nonsense over and over again and rushed past the stuff to get to the end. I must say the book gives you an eerie feeling that the sane are the ones not in touch with the world and the insane are. I think I got the message. But I already got it 70% in and didn’t need it diminished by extraneous writing. I’d be hard pressed to rate the last 30% more than 2.5.

I see the author has another novel that I’ll probably look into and see if he learned from the reviews of this book. As I stated, his potential is promising and the horror category is my carrot. But, overall, I can only rate this one a 3.5 star.

Reviewer: Rich

 

No comments:

Post a Comment